Tuesday, March 29, 2011

EXterior DESIGN

My boyfriend and I have spent a lot of time over the past few weeks looking at houses with his parents. They are looking for the perfect home to retire in (first floor master, lots of room for family and grand kids etc.). It has been so much fun to drive through local neighborhoods and get inspired for what type of home we want to build/buy one day. So here are a few examples of my personal favorite design styles: Who doesn't love a traditional colonial style home? The red brick is so classic, it will never look dated. And something about these homes just screams Americana. This particular home is called Georgian. I have really started to enjoy arts and crafts style homes. They look fresh, bright, and cheerful. I also like that they break up the monotony of the typical stone, stucco, and timber homes you see all over Utah. This speaks to how eclectic my taste can be at times. Certain modern homes I absolutely DIE over. I think they just look so class and clean. This extremely famous Frank Lloyd Wright hoe, Falling Water, is one of my favorite residential designs of all time.

Now last but not least...my absolute favorite style of home...French! I think what really makes me love french homes are the steeply pitched roofs, called Mansard roofs. I think they look very stately and classy...it just screams money even on more modest homes. The picture I have below is from the Stonegate community right here in Provo, Utah. The homes are ridiculous (in size and expense) but my boyfriend and I agree that they are incredibly well designed. Each detail has been carefully considered and executed to perfection.



No comments:

Post a Comment